An Education For Life
Rich and Diverse Programs
Over 100 Years of History
Visit our College
Innovative New Learning Spaces Designed to Inspire
Latest News and Events
Join St Leonard's College
Built by federal politician and stock agent Arthur C Groom in 1890, Harefield House has been the heart and soul of St Leonard’s College for over 60 years.
From 1907 until its purchase by the College in the 1950s, Harefield House was owned by Alice (Ida) Mirams and served as Merton Hospital. For a number of years it was also tenanted by Australia’s very first home-grown professor of music, William Laver and his family.
A late-Victorian Italianate villa, Harefield House became the new home of a rapidly-expanding St Leonard’s Presbyterian Girls’ College. Today, its prominent central tower, beautiful stained glass windows, and expansive verandahs see it play host to many major College events. It is particularly cherished by our Old Collegians and past staff, many of whom resided in its halls over several decades.
In an effort to increase building utilisation, heritage-listed Harefield House was refurbished in 2013, providing our community with a more functional and inviting space to meet, collaborate and socialise.
Several grand Moreton Bay Figs dot the College grounds, all of which date back to the first residents of Harefield House.